Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Sewing Table! RES

In the past on this blog, I have discussed options that students have when they finish their work.  Last Thursday, I was visiting Burlington Forest Preschool and saw their brand-new, amazing sewing table. I decided pretty much instantly that I had to make one. (Or two.  And give them as gifts.  So I think the future holds several more.)


This simple little table allows students to essentially embroider into the screen.  The screen can be taken off and replaced to allow it to be displayed as a mural.  It measures about 2'7" x 15".


The construction could not be more basic, and is just what you see here. I went to ReSource's Building Center in Burlington and spent about $4 on enough reclaimed 2x4's to make it. The fiberglass screen is pretty cheap too, and I had it kicking around my basement.  Four equal length posts were screwed to the rectangular top.  This is the most forgiving, imprecise woodworking project ever (which is exactly my kind of woodworking).


After building, I primed the wood with white and then doused it in this juicy-orange-sunshine-colored paint.  When it was dry, I cut a piece of screen that was about three inches bigger than the table on all sides, then used a staple gun to attach it to the table.


I set it up on the carpet with a basket of needles and embroidery floss, and showed Kindergarteners how to thread their needles and sew through the screen.  It is big enough for about four students to work comfortably on it at a time. In honor of Spring, we are sewing plants right now. The plan is to let the stitching build up, and rotate the theme each month on a new piece of screen.


It's only day one, but students are loving it, and I am delighted to have found a way to make sewing a self-guided activity for students.  All classes K-4 will learn to use it!



No comments:

Post a Comment