Wednesday, December 10, 2014

An Art Teacher on a Snowday!

Here in Vermont, outside of my front window, it looks like this right now:

Naturally, I made a snowman. Immediately. Yes, before shoveling.
The sleet/ freezing rain/ snowish stuff caused school to be cancelled today, and is still coming down.
So therefore.... project time!!!

Bodycare extravaganza.

Peppermint Body Butter
    I really prefer my bodycare items the way I like my food- understandable, with real ingredients. But whoa, does that ever cost an arm and a leg. Enter my love of blogs- I went straight to my search engine and found Wellness Mama, whose website is full of recipes and directions for people like me who have never done this before. 
    
Lemongrass Hand Salve

  What does this have to do with art? Well, arguably, making stuff, problem-solving, and thinking creatively makes people artists, which in my brain makes this a wide a category inclusive of writers, gardeners, painters, cooks, knitters, scientists, seamstresses, brewers, dancers, engineers, musicians, and many other hobbies and professions.  

Lavender Room Spray and Lavender Bath Salt
   Phrasing art-making in this context helps remove fear and stigma in the art room about who "is" and "isn't" artistic. A common question I ask students is "What did you create in the last week?" The answers are always awesome and varied- coloring a birthday card, making cupcakes, programming a game.

Lemon Honey Sugar Scrub
Using ingredients like shea butter, essential oils, and beeswax, I have created lots of little holiday gifties for loved ones.  I used recipes but changed them in my own ways. Not a bad way to spend the snowy day.  My house smells terrific.

What have you created recently?  What projects are you working on?



No comments:

Post a Comment