Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Goodbye RES! My Own Love Note.

 Dear RES,

       What a lovely family of students, colleagues, and families with whom to spend five years.  I am so lucky. This morning when getting ready for work, I decided to skip the eye makeup.  After work I was attending a friend's retirement party, and I didn't want to show up with raccoon eyes from crying about leaving all of you lovelies.
      Good thing, too, because right at the end of the day, when everything was high and dry on my face, this happened- a love note from the whole darn school!


 What are all those little dots on that board?  Thumbprints.  Here they are closer:


If it hard been a card that they all signed, that would be lovely, and I'd have been fine, but no. Thumbprints. It was too much. I got through the last class, had lots of hugs, and cried my pathetic sobby way home.

Because I know all of those thumbprints. They have been all over my classroom, my artwork, and my clothes all year. Little thumbs covered in paint left printed on my tables. Pressed onto my cabinets while leaning and waiting in line.  Washed from the soap dispensers.  Smudging the mirrors.  Pressed on my skirts from eager hands tugging.  Stamped onto my own artwork, examples passed about and clutched tightly.

I know those thumbprints, and I will miss them all.

Thank you for welcoming me into your community, into your school, and for letting all of those little thumbs print right on my heart.

Love, sparkles, and delightful mess,

Mrs. Elliott

P.S. Please excuse me for being a mush.
P.P.S. Thanks for indulging it today.

This. This is why I am an art teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment