Thursday, May 14, 2015

My Last RES Art Night


   Yup, it's true.  Yesterday was my last Art Night at RES. After five years here at RES, September will find me teaching art full-time in Burlington at Edmunds Elementary.

Our artists are amazing. Our twice-annual Art Nights are incredibly well-attended, and this one did not disappoint!  Masses of people came to support this community's young artists.  Whole entourages of grandparents, siblings, and friends followed our youngsters as they proudly toured their artwork.  Every artist has three artworks in each art show, which means that in total there were around three hundred works by third and fourth graders on display last night!



Leaving RES was a difficult decision to say the least, as it remains true that I have never loved a job more than working here as Richmond's art teacher, and it is not innate to even consider leaving a job that you love.  Most of all, I love our students. Your students.  Their passion, curiosity, and excitement to learn new skills charges me up to teach each day.  Thank you for the privilege to work with them.


 I am humbled to work with such an excellent staff and supportive families.  It truly makes me sad to be thinking of leaving those things, for as you know, they are not a given in all schools.  This choice will be closer to home for me.

Here is the video compilation of the grade 3 puppet shows, which you may have seen last night in the art room.  Artists created their own characters then worked in groups to write and perform original stories.



Parents and families, thank you very much to all of you for supporting arts in this building.  I believe firmly that the arts program here is in a very excellent place, and whoever has the chance to carry it forward will be in a great position to work with your amazing young artists.  It stands without saying that I will miss RES very much, and hope, when my new schedule allows, to visit you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment